modprobe not an ELF file

Hi there,

can somebody tell me what the message

"modprobe not an ELF file"

means? It is printed during the boot process right after the check
module dependencies. Basically I want to net boot a diskless client
(PentII) with a Realtek PCI network card. The kernel works well for
other diskless clients with NE2000 cards. The thing is that after a few
more initialization steps the NFS daemon is complaining with some error
-101 or so. It doesn't take me anywhere further and just stops, at least
for a few minutes which I waited before restarting my machine!

Any ideas?

Ferdinand