Re: Video Board Support?

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 07:53:19PM -0400, Timothy Hospedales wrote:
> Hi, my new computer came with an ATI Rage Fury 128 AGPx2 (32MB).
> I'm not sure which X-server to use for htis, does anyone know, or know
> whether it is supported by xfree/accelx/metrox etc at all?

Hi Tim,

I have the same card :)

- First, you'll have to install XFree86 ver. 3.3.4. Its ok from apt,
    just add this line to "/etc/apt/sources.list" :

    deb http://samosa.debian.org/~branden/	xfrre86-334-slink/

- Then, go to "http://www.suse.com";
- follow link on "Suse X Servers"
- follow link on "XFCom Rage"
- download the RPM package
*important*
- follow link "remarks on installation"
- download the RPM package of "regframe" (needed because it contains
   a light modification you need if you don't run under SuSe Linux)
- Alienize your 2 RPMs
- install them with "dpkg -i xxx"
*important*
- As the XServer's name is not known by X, the easiest way to make it
    work is to remove the SVGA XServer, and to rename
    "/usr/X11R6/bin/XFCom_Rage128" to "XF86_SVGA" (and to setup your
    XF86Config by the SVGA Section of course :)

REMEMBER that this card can go up to 230/250MHz! So be carefull about
your screen's life! (I have an iiyama A901HT, so there are no problems
since both have the same limits)

Hope it will help you.

JY
--