RE: make-kpkg and apt-get updates

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Darxus wrote:

 : On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, peter karlsson wrote:
 :
 : > > you can use dselect and use "H" on the package. This will hold the package
 : > > and prevent "accidental" upgrading.
 : >
 : > Yeah, but that's not a very good solution, especially since I need to
 : > remember to do that manually each time I compile a new kernel.
 : >
 : > Plus that I have to go into dselect, which I don't like (the feeling seems
 : > mutual, as it does not like my selections either).
 :
 : I removed the kernel package long ago, and have been compiling custom
 : kernels w/ no interference from apt/dselect since.

kernel-package is the way to go.  Name your revisions like
<hostname>.<kernel-version>-<pkg-version>, and you'll not have problems
(I haven't, anyway :)

For my home machine, the revision is "chaos.2.2.9-1".  I installed it
with `dpkg -i ...' - no need for dselect.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD