help! netstd screwed up on updating potato

I am in the process of updating my potato system, and got the following error
wit the netstd package (this printout comes from attempting to reinstall the
package after the original at-get dist-update errors).

Can anyone tell me what to do?  I had re-DL'ed the file just in case it was
corrupted.  If an earlier thread has addressed this, I'm afraid I don't have
knowledge of it.  I'm a bit afraid to try using X right now as I don't know
what's been changed, etc.

-------------
kaynjay:~# apt-get install netstd
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 242 not upgraded.
16 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 212kB of archives. After unpacking 96.3kB will be freed.
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main netstd 3.07-10 [212kB]
Fetched 212kB in 45s (4676B/s)
(Reading database ... 53129 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace netstd 3.07-8 (using .../netstd_3.07-10_i386.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/netstd.prerm: /usr/sbin/update-inetd: Permission denied
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /usr/sbin/update-inetd: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netstd_3.07-10_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Permission
denieddpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 /var/cache/apt/archives/netstd_3.07-10_i386.deb
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)

Thanks!

Kenward