Re: cpu option of gcc & g++

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 08:29:50PM +0200, Jean-Yves BARBIER wrote:

> I have to compile and cross-compile several sources on a
> PII machine, for both its own and a 486.

> I'd like to know how to specify that to 'make'.
> I had a look at both 'man gcc' & 'man g++', but these are
> huge, and I'm not a though programmer :)

The general approach is to build it twice, normally reconfiguring in
between.  You could also simply run the 486 code on both 486 and Pentium
II - unless you're noticing enough a speed increase from optimization to
care about on the PII it's probably just as easy.

> Also, I remarked that some software, compile with g++
> (such as voxilla) leave without any PB on the 486,
> but stay in the PII memory without any possibility
> to kill them (even with a '-9' signal). That's why
> I need to tell these compilers for which machine to
> work.

This sounds like a bug.  Are you using any particularly funky options to
build?

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/