make-kpkg problems

Hello,
     I have been using make-kpkg for a long time for compiling kernels and
making deb packages. Yesterday when I made a deb package, I got a deb
package

kernel-image-..._1.00.deb instead of kernel-image-2.2.12_1.00.deb

I upgraded kernel-package from the unstable tree but it did not help. The
documentation says make-kpkg will read from the Makefile to get the
current kernel version and we have to worry only about the revision
numbers. Help??

Ramakrishnan M
World Wide Web: http://www.ee.iitm.ernet.in/~ee98m09
--
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing
 left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."