How do I switch between JDK versions?

Probably a FAQ... but, here goes....

I've noticed that the JDK 1.1 description claims that it can co-exist with
the older JDK 1.0. However, I've not been able to figure out how to make
this work. Whichever one gets installed last seems to change the
/etc/alternatives to it's liking and that's what you end up using.

I've tried changing the links in /etc/alternatives, but it just turns into a
big mess.

Aren't there any handy little scripts to switch back and forth? For example,
on my Windows machine, I have batch files called "JDK10", "JDK11", and
"JDK12" that switch between 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 respectively.

 * Is there anything like that in Debian?

 * Are they separate for jdk and jdk-dev?

 * Is is possible for each user on the system (via environment vars, I'd
guess) to pick which they want to use?

Thanks in advance

- Joe