Re: [OT] daylight savings in Brazil?

Taupter wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
> >
> > I suppose this is a dumb question, but why would anyone bother with
> > daylight savings time in a tropical country?
>
> Despite some opinions, we have a large industrial park, 180 million
> people, a high energy comsumption. There is no outdoors with "Coming
> soon... Coca Cola!". Brazil is not one immense rain forest, as some
> people would think.

Hey, settle down there, guy!  If I may be so presumptuous, I think
John's point was that there's so little difference in the tropics in
amount of daylight between summer and winter.

True story, not even tangentially on-topic:

In high school I was in a car with 3 other guys going to play tennis
doubles.  I knew two of the other guys, but the 3rd, a friend of one of
the others, was unknown to me (he looked kind of dark; I thought he was
Oriental).

Someone mentioned South America, and I said, "Aw, all they do in South
America is blow darts."  (Yes, it was a lousy, bigoted attempt at
humor.)

The dark guy piped up and said, "I assure you, we do not just blow
darts."

I was so embarrassed, I didn't even say anything.  I just looked at the
floor.