tar help (excluding files)

Hi, All,

     I tried to back up my home directory today for the first time in
a month or so (I back it up to zip drvie which was dead;  I got a new
one yesterday).  I used the same command which I always do:

     tar -cPvzf /zip/cdj.tgz --exclude-from=.tar_exclude .

     .tar_exclude is a short file:
         .netscape/*
         download/*
         Office51/*

     This time it didn't exclude the files.  I tried specifying patterns
on the command line but this didn't work either.  I checked the timestamp
on /bin/tar and it says Sep 14, so it must have been updated since my
last backup.  Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong now?

-Chris

--
|   Christopher D. Judd, Ph.D.                                           |