pgcc compiler for slink?

Has anyone successfully patched and compiled a pgcc/egcs package for
Slink? I was able to patch for Potato using the gcc source package and a
slightly older gcc source tarball patched with the pgcc patches.
I recently updated one of my testing machines to Potato, and the patched
gcc seems to be working fine. Unfortunately, the Potato gcc source package
requires the Potato debhelper, which won't compile without versioned perl,
and the slink egcs package doesn't patch with any pgcc patch files. :/

Is there any documentation on compiling for glibc 2.0 on a glibc 2.1
system?

And how could I verify that the patched compiler is actually producing
optimised code? (In my case for AMD K6 with MMX)

-- Ferret no baka