Re: Potato NIS Vs PAM problems

In article <cistron.19990930102304.A11337@lappy.djj.state.va.us>,
Ben Collins  <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 03:18:26PM +0100, Paul M Sargent wrote:
>> I have the +:::::: line at the bottom of my passwd file, and all the yp
>> tools work fine (e.g. 'ypmatch pauls passwd' brings up the right response.)
>
>Have you tried adding nis to the /etc/nsswitch.conf fields?

If you have +:::::: at the end of /etc/passwd, you must use "compat"
in nsswitch.conf. If you don't have that plus stuff in /etc/passwd,
use "nis files" in nsswitch.conf.

"compat" knows about plussed users. The other nsswitch methods might
not. Imagine someone trying to login as "+" ...

Mike.
--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.