Re: Potato NIS Vs PAM problems

On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:43:40AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 03:42:14PM +0100, Paul M Sargent wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:23:04AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > Have you tried adding nis to the /etc/nsswitch.conf fields? Note, than the
> > > pam_unix.so modules (being that they use standard libc calls for use
> > > lookups) recognizes NIS with any problems, so long as the NS Switch is
> > > setup properly.
> >
> > I'll give it a go[....]

Right I put 'nis' on the start of the passwd line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. No
change. :-( I even restarted all services just to be sure (runlevel 2->1->2)

> > The other thing I should have mentioned is in /var/log/auth.log I'm getting
> >
> > PAM_unix [1234]: authentation failure; LOGIN(uid=0) -> <username> for login
> > service
>
> That's incorrect, you can login with a password locally because it then
> acts like a normal UNIX login. You HAVE to add nis to the nsswitch.conf
> fields in order to use _any_ programs with NIS. This is not a PAM issue.

OK, now you're confusing me.

* I have no local users on this machine apart from root.
* I can login with users specified in the NIS database if that user has a
password.
* I can not login with a NIS user if that user has a blank password.
* If I give a user which is not in the NIS database I get a different
authentication error message. (Cannot retrieve authentation info.)
* finger <username> retrieves the correct information from the NIS database.

How can NIS not be working?

Paul

P.S. I'm not trying to wind you up, I'm just confused.
--
Paul Sargent
Tel: +44 (1784) 476669