gnumeric complains about platform independent libraries

When trying to start gnumeric, I get the following complaints:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import exceptions' failed; use -v for traceback
Warning!  Falling back to string-based exceptions
Gnumeric/Python module initialized
Symbol [mid] redefined.

Gnumeric appears to work, but these warnings bother me. Do I need
to be concerned about them?