Re: dynamic IP and exim config (different from LG #43)

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 07:26:22PM -0700, esoR ocsirF wrote:
> I have rosef@eou.edu as my ISP assigned email address. I have also set
> up exim to think that my personal machine is eou.edu ( If I understand
> the setup ). I run fetchmail to retrieve my mail and use mutt to read
> it.

You're right

> Appended are the conf files for exim and fetchmail. I like how it

You're not obliged to use fetchmail, unless you automatically retrieve
your mail. I use the Mutt conf files to do this (take a look at  the
very last lines for the POP3 setup lines).

> behaves except in one respect, I can't send mail to other users of the
> domain eou.edu because exim thinks that is localhost, other wise mail
> goes out just fine ( for example this message). Can anybody tell
> me a way to get exim to pass any locally unqualified address ( ie. no
> account on my machine ) to eou.edu ( the real one) automatically?

:) I had the same PB: your "local_domains" is not good: you must set it
to the name *you* gave to the machine. see below

> I have read the article in Linux Gazzette #43 and tried it but it didn't
> offer the same degree of transparency that I am attempting. I have also
> attempted to read through the exim docs but overwhelmed with the amount
> of info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, it is not intended to be used on a single machine, but on a little net.

> .fetchmailrc
>
> set daemon 120
> poll emily.eou.edu proto POP3 port 110
>         user "rosef" there password "mypass" is rosef here
> 	fetchall

--------------------------
These are the setup differences from my old exim.conf,
perhaps its not the best in the world, but it worked
pretty good.
(I used it on a single machine, before having a little network and
turn to a La Gazette #43 variant)
This is based on a 2.05-2 EXIM
--------------------------
> local_domains = localhost:eou.edu
local_domains = mycomp.mydomain
> host_lookup = *
host_lookup = 0.0.0.0/0
> host_accept_relay = localhost
*NOTHING*
> smtp_verify = true
My ISP doesn't use it, so it was false for me (check it out with him).
> local_delivery:
>   driver = appendfile
>   group = mail
>   mode = 0660
>   mode_fail_narrower = false
X   envelope_to_add = true
I didn't had this line (but remember my version is 2.05-2)
>   file = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}
> system_aliases:
>   driver = aliasfile
X   file_transport = address_file
X   pipe_transport = address_pipe
I didn't had these 2 lines, just "file = /etc/aliases" instead
>   file = /etc/aliases
>   search_type = lsearch
> lookuphost:
>   driver = lookuphost
>   transport = remote_smtp
I had another line here (obviously, my ISP's name was "wanadoo.fr"):
route_list = "* smtp.wanadoo.fr bynds_a"
> # *@eou.edu    ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
> #						{$value}fail} bcfrF
As my address was not good (I was appearing as "niff-iff@wanadoo.fr" in
the From: header, instead of my *real* address, which is "jybarbier@wanadoo.fr";
So I rewriten the envelope to have a correct email address:
niff-iff@wanadoo.fr	jybarbier@wanadoo.fr	Eh
> # End of Exim configuration file

Hope it can help.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 The Macintosh is Xerox technology at its best.