Re: Environment Variable weirdness

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

[ snip ]

 :     Nathan> It's faster to use a "UNIX domain socket" when all traffic is
 :     Nathan> local as you avoid some of teh overhead of an IP stack.  Why
 :     Nathan> waste those milliseconds?
 :
 : Would you be willing to explain the technicalities behind that ? Sounds
 : like a neat `optimization'. BTW, is this a Debian-specific feature ? I
 : haven't seen this in RedHat.

I can't claim to have intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the
kernel code, but I seem to recall from APUE that there was a speed
difference ... I may have misunderstood.  I'll have to find my copy
tomorrow.

At any rate, I can't imagine any speed difference WOULD matter more than
a few milliseconds ... there may be some security concerns ...

 : Now for a networked system, you'd have to change the DISPLAY env var
 : to allow remote X clients to display locally, right ?

... but you're going to use IP anyway :)

I use ssh port-forwarding to tunnel my remote X session.  It
automatically sets DISPLAY for you (and it's already configured in
Debian).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD