Re: Flat-panel monitors?

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:59:42AM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > I'm using an SGI 1600SW (17.4" wide) with the #9 card it's bundled with.
>
> A co-worker of mine owns this same monitor (boy is it sweet!) and uses the
> Acclerated X server.  It's much faster and less buggy.  You may want to
> check this out.

It is much faster and seems bug-free, but unfortunately it doesn't support
DGA or XKEYBOARD, and those help out VMware quite a bit.  And there are
political issues within the company where I work -- getting software
"certified" is a pain.  I can use anything in Debian because Debian is
certified, but another product is not.

> Of course, the ideal solution would use an entirely different video card,
> as the #9 card is not a great card.  But there are very few 100% digital
> cards out there.

I looked into that, and even talked to SGI about it.  I forget which
DFP standard the 1600SW uses, but it's different from the two standards
offered by everyone else (Matrox, ATI, etc).  They said they are working
on a product that will adapt the monitor to work with other types of
DFP interfaces.  They realize they made a mistake when choosing the
interface.  Who knows, that product may even be shipping now... :)

Regards,

Jeff