Re: what modem

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:

> [Debian-doc is for discussion and development of
Debian documentation
-
> moved to debian-user which is the general list for
support questions]

wrote:
> > what modem works best for 2.0.2 & 2.1?
>
> Any modem that isn't a "winmodem" - i.e. any real
modem.

>(rule of thumb) If it's external, it'll work,
There are a few things to watch out for.  There was
the guy tring to get a 14400 external modem to work
that had the serial line speed set to 115000.  The
modem would talk no faster than 56k.  Also if you have
a 16450 uart you can't usually go faster than 56k.  So
you might have to watch what uart speed you specify.

>(rule of thumb) If it's ISA with jumpers, it'll work,
NOT always true.  I have seen winmodems with
jumpers!!!!

>(rule of thumb) If it's PCI, it won't work,
Not always true.  There are one or two PCI modems that
work.  The ones that are NOT memory mapped MIGHT work.

>(rule of thumb) If it's ISA with no jumpers, it might
>work,
You will need isapnp for this one

=====
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!