Getting shaper0 to work

Hi all,

I was wondering why I cannot get the kernel's network traffic shaper to
work.

It is compiled as a module in the kernel and seems to be initalising
correctly. I have installed the shapecfg deb, (I assume this is for
the 2.2 kernel's, not AC's backport to 2.0.*)

I have tried many permutations of the following in my /etc/init.d/network

ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

shapecfg attach shaper0 eth0
shapecfg speed shaper0 16000
ifconfig shaper0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST} up
#route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} dev shaper0

I commented out the last route add... line as I understand that ifconfig
now brings up the route (on potato) and I loose all packet's if I don't.
route -n also shows that shaper0 is there.

With this setup, the ifconfig output shows the traffic still going
through eth0, and the speed is still running at 500kB/s.

Thanks for any help,

Mark.