Re: Exim... can't get outgoing mail off my machine

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 06:03:09AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
 >On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:49:21PM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
 >> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 04:51:57PM -0700, kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us wrote:
 >> > Sorry, but I cannot figure out how to get mail to other people on our LAN
 >> > using exim.  Those I send are booted back saying they don't exist on my
 >> > machine.  Mail should go to a server, but it treats all with the same domain
 >> > as being on my machine.  Have gone through the manual but I guess I'm blind.
 >
 >> Kenward, check out the /usr/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz file, near line 11900 for
 >> some information on setting up a smarthost thingy.
 >
 >I don't think that will help if the problem is that exim thinks that it
 >handles all mail for his domain.  Most MTAs implement a luser_relay
 >option which allows one to specify a host to throw unknown local users
 >to.  In exim this appears to be a smartuser director, and is documented
 >in the manual.
[...]

Mark,

Thanks for the note.  I ultimately went back into eximconfig and realized
that a better choice would be a satellite system, and played with the
settings.  What I wound up with seems to fit what you describe.  So far
(with no one responding to test msgs. this late at night :) it seems to be
working (replies don't get bounced back to me with delivery failures).

Kenward

 >> (Anyone else think exim's docs might be a bit too big? :)
 >
 >The main problem is knowing what to look for rather than anything else -
 >it's not very well indexed and doesn't cater to people using different
 >terminology so well.

fully agree with this