Re: Flat-panel monitors?

Seth R Arnold <sarnold@willamette.edu> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:05:20PM -0400, B. Szyszka wrote:
> > Well I'm not really ready to configure one yet. I was just asking for
> > people's personal experiences with them. Do they display things just
> > as well as Windows would? Worst? The same?
>
> The few that I have looked at do not look as nice as CRTs, though I
> understand apple's studio displays are very nice.

I think he was referring to the behavior of the screen under Linux, as
compared to e.g. MS-Windows.

But as far as the display itself, you're right, it's definitely not
something you want to mail order if you can avoid it.  The last time I
saw the `monitor' floor at LAOX, there were about 25 different models;
some of them really, really, sucked (dim, fuzzy), but some were quite
brilliant (Sharp and NEC, in particular, had some *stunning* displays).

[So, don't write them off, just be careful.]

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche