Re: Kernel upgrades = security upgrades

Brian Servis wrote:

> Notice that the version is part of the package name.  Thus a
> kernel-image-2.0.34 and kernel-image-2.0.36 are two totally different
> packages as far as Debian is concerned, except that they both provide
> the virtual package kernel-image and that fact is not determined until
> it is being installed.

Ok.  To my way of thinking it should be called kernel-image_2.0.34,
kernel-image_2.0.36-3, etc.  That way apt-get upgrade would grab updated
kernels for the user.  IMO kernels are a very critical part of security and
that they should be upgradeable as part of the normal process.

I realize the kernel is a very special piece of software but still see no
reason why it is treated differently from normal software.  Perhaps the
upgrade process depends on the virtual package kernel-image which I don't
seem to have installed?

Fraser