Re: [DISASTER] Latest update broke my system entirely

Brian Servis <servis@purdue.edu> writes:

[...]

> Boot the rescue disk.  At the boot: prompt just hit the return key and
> wait for the color/mono selection key.  Then hit Alt-F2 to get to vt2.
> Hit return to get a root prompt of the rescue disk rom image.  Now you
> can mount your existing partition to see what has gone wrong.

WONDERFUL! That was (more or less) exactly what I needed!

I mounted my harddrive, fsck:ed it, looked in /etc/init.d/rcS and
found no error.

Then it dawned on me. My system lacked /bin/sh.

cp /bin/sh /mnt/bin/

Eureka!

/Jonas, running Linux once again!
PS. There might be more to it - there is a reason /bin/sh was deleted
but now I know how to get on the system. DS.
--
( Jonas Steverud  @  www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/ !    Wei Wu Wei    )
( U2MoL, Roleplaying, LaTeX, Emacs/Gnus, SCWM, etc. ! To Do Without Do )