Re: Gateway E-4200 install probs

Kent West wrote:
> Seth R Arnold wrote:
> >
> > Steve, I can let you know what I have learned --
> >
> > the 3c59x.c file included with the kernel (even 2.2.12) is old and out of
> > date. You need to go to Donald Becker's webpage (cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov, iirc)
> > and download the 0.99L or newer version of the 3c59x.c file, replace the
> > 3c59x.c file that comes with the kernels, remake, recompile, and install.

> Steve, you're also likely to run into problems with the
> Rage128-based video card if you install X. You can download a
> driver from www.suse.com, which worked for me.

---end quoted text---

Thanks to everyone for the excellent information. (I had already run into
the problem with the Rage128, but was working on one problem at a time :)

--
Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.