Re: Mixing binary installation with installation from source code

Tom, if you throw things in /usr/local, apt (as well as dpkg, dselect,
etc..) promise to leave those things alone. The gnome configure script
probably supports --prefix=/usr/local -- that doesn't mean it will be
seamless, but it shouldn't be too bad. :)