Boot/Installation problem i386 slink

I'm trying to install Debian on a PC-based system.  The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-586HX rev. 1.56 with a Cyrix 6x86 PR150+ cpu.  A Novell/Anthem NE2000 network card, a p'n'p V90/k56 flex modem (Not a win modem as far as I can tell) based on PCI Rockwell chips, an S3 Trio 64V+ PCI video card and an Ess ES1868 p'np sound card.  64Mb RAM, 15.2Gb IBM HDD.  NEC 273 CD-Rom.

The HDD is partitioned for a Win95 FAT32 boot.

I have set up a Linux partition and a 32Mb Linux swap partition.

I can partially boot off the Debian slink disk 1, but it hangs after a little more of screen info about drivers and hardware etc. immediately after the following two lines:

FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.36.3 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8

No other messages, it just stops.

I can boot further on CD#2 and even install a great deal of the system onto the HDD, but it seems to install whatever the problem is from CD#1 in that when I boot using the floppy the installation program makes, it hangs at exactly the same point.

I've tried scouring the documentation, but can't find enough to get me over the learning curve hump I'm stuck at.  Is there a simple way of correcting whatever I'm doing wrong?

Any help gratefully received.  Anything at all ...

Thanks,

Richard Turner