setting up and running proftpd

I installed proftpd the other day and well read the man page and visited
the proftpd web site.
Maybe I should get a new hat, but in there I found that I should have an
ftp group etc.

Ok, here is what I want:
I have a 5 gb partition set a side for ftp space, so I would
mound /dev/hdc2 /ftp

Now I want to be able to have some users connect to the proftpd from the
net right from the login prompt.,  I only want them to connect to the ftp
server, not the other shells, like you do when you connect to a normal ftp
site.

Do I need a user and group setup as ftp?

Thx for the help, I feel very dumb not knowing this, it seems so simple
until I read the web site and man page.