Re: shutting down X

    Brian> You should always get dumped back to tty1 because that is the
    Brian> terminal on which wdm was started.

    Brian> Did you force syslogd to reload the syslog.conf file after you
    Brian> modified it?  '/etc/init.d/syslogd reload' will force it to
    Brian> reload the file.

yes I did. I did so by entering :

    kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

and I noticed that it had restarted and my changes to /etc/syslog.conf
were read in.

    Brian> Wait....I just noticed that my /dev/console is symlinked to
    Brian> /dev/tty1.  This is the old 2.0.x kernel method.  The newer
    Brian> kernels use a true device file for /dev/console.  Check
    Brian> /dev/console to see what it is. If it is a true device then
    Brian> perhaps it is getting stuck on the last active terminal, was X
    Brian> running on vt7?  Try removing /dev/console and making it a
    Brian> symlink to /dev/tty1.  (Disclaimer: I don't know the future
    Brian> ramifications of this setup, I think I will keep mine this way
    Brian> though.)

Yes, X is running on VC/VT 7. I have to press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back
to X from a VC.

I am running kernel 2.2.12. I checked /dev/console and notice that it
is a symlink to tty0 :

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] dir /dev/console
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Sep 11 17:04 /dev/console -> tty0

Ok. I'll also check RedHat-5.2 to see what /dev/console points to under
there. Then I'll try symlinking it to /dev/tty1 and see if that solves
my problem. BTW, under RH5.2, I am running kernel 2.2.10 and it doesn't
have this `problem'.

I am curious to know : what are the ramifications of changing /dev/console
to point to /dev/tty1 instead of /dev/tty0 ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT interlog DOT com