Re: shutting down X

*- On 26 Sep, Salman Ahmed wrote about "Re: shutting down X"

> here is the relevant section from my /etc/syslog.conf before I
> started modifying it:
>
> ----begin----
> #
> # I like to have messages displayed on the console, but only on a virtual
> # console I usually leave idle.
> #
> #daemon,mail.*;\
> #	news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
> #	*.=debug;*.=info;\
> #	*.=notice;*.=warn	/dev/tty8
>

> # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
> # you must invoke `xconsole' with the `-file' option:
> #
> #    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
> #
> # NOTE: adjust the list below, or you'll go crazy if you have a reasonably
> #      busy site..
> #
> daemon.*;mail.*;\
> 	news.crit;news.err;news.notice;\
> 	*.=debug;*.=info;\
> 	*.=notice;*.=warn	|/dev/xconsole
> -----end-----
>

> I tried uncommenting the first block (the one that sends output to
> /dev/tty8) but when I shutdown the system I was still dumped back
> to tty1/VC#1. I still had to press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to see the output
> that I wanted.

You should always get dumped back to tty1 because that is the terminal
on which wdm was started.

> Commenting out the second block (the one that sends output to
> /dev/xconsole) simply gave me an empty xconsole window as expected.
> It still didn't help me to see the status of shutdown (ie services
> being shutdown) without pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7.
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Did you force syslogd to reload the syslog.conf file after you modified
it?  '/etc/init.d/syslogd reload' will force it to reload the file.

Wait....I just noticed that my /dev/console is symlinked to /dev/tty1.
This is the old 2.0.x kernel method.  The newer kernels use a true
device file for /dev/console.  Check /dev/console to see what it is. If
it is a true device then perhaps it is getting stuck on the last active
terminal, was X running on vt7?  Try removing /dev/console and making it
a symlink to /dev/tty1.  (Disclaimer: I don't know the future
ramifications of this setup, I think I will keep mine this way though.)

> What does your /etc/syslog.conf file look like ?

[This is stripped of all comments]

auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
*.*;auth,authpriv.none  -/var/log/syslog
daemon.*        /var/log/daemon.log
kern.*  /var/log/kern.log
lpr.*   -/var/log/lpr.log
mail.*  /var/log/mail.log
user.*  -/var/log/user.log
uucp.*  -/var/log/uucp.log
mail.info       -/var/log/mail.info
mail.warn       -/var/log/mail.warn
mail.err        /var/log/mail.err
news.crit       /var/log/news/news.crit
news.err        /var/log/news/news.err
news.notice     -/var/log/news/news.notice
*.=debug;\
        auth,authpriv.none;\
        news.none;mail.none     -/var/log/debug
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\