Re: Deleted menu in Wmaker

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> While trying out the spiffy wm configurator, I seem to have eliminated
> all the debian menus.
> How can I get back the menus?  Meanwhile I have just inserted my own
> menu entries for the few programs I use all the time.

The first step would be to change your ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu file
to contain only this text:

Next, make sure you don't have a menu.hook file anywhere under your
GNUstep directory (IIRC it would be in GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/, but i
could be wrong. Use find.)

Your menus should now be back to the default Debian setup, and
update-menus (as root) will work properly. Note that if you run
update-menus as your user, then update-menus as root (e.g. when new
packages are installed) will not affect your menus; you'll have to
update-menus manually as your user. Or just delete the
~/GNUstep/..../menu.hook file.

> By the way, since this little flub none of the newly installed
> packages has been visible as menu entries either.  What did I do?

Because you're not using the Debian menus, you won't see them. They are
being properly put into the global Debian menus though.

- --
  finger for PGP public key.

Version: 2.6.3ia
Charset: noconv