From: debian-user@Mills-USA.com [mailto:debian-user@Mills-USA.com]On
Behalf Of W. Paul Mills
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 8:42 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: File location differences between Debian and other
'X'nix's?

John_Gay@eur.3com.com (John Gay) writes:

When I moved to Debian, quite some time ago now, it was actually
very refreshing to find nearly all config info in /etc. Having
come from Slackware, which seemed to just put it anywhere. It
was a wonderful breath of fresh air. Now days, I think all
distributions are making an effort to become more consistant.

You will probably never find them all doing everything the same,
but the FHS and LSB are evidence that everyone recognizes the need
for consistancy.

> Thanks for the info for the FHS, I'll have a search for it later. This
explains
> why Netscape installed in /usr/local/. . . , but not why Debian puts
sane's
> config files in /etc/sane.d when sane looks for it in /usr/etc/sane.d. I'm
> thinking, then that sane is to blame for being different? Like I said,
I'll have

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *