Unix98 PTYs

Just got kernel 2.2.12 compiled and installed. Thanks
to all the people who replied to an earlier post of
mine about compiling 2.2.12.

I continue to be impressed with Debian. make-kpkg is
such a painless way of compiling kernels. Now I never
had a problem compiling kernels by hand under RedHat
but the Debian system is way better. Kudos to whoever
designed the make-kpkg system.

I decided to compile in support for Unix98 PTYs since
I am already using glibc-2.1. Being the newbie that
I am, I can't tell the differences b/w Unix98 PTYs
and the old style ttys (is that right?).

I am hoping that some of the gurus on this list can
explain to me exactly what a unix98 pty is and why
it is better (or not) than what was present in the
2.0 series of kernels. Also, why is it called a
"Unix98" pty ? what's so special about 98 !!!

Thanks as always.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT interlog DOT com