Re: Gateway hangs on accesses from LAN

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 11:50:07PM +1000, Andrew J.F. Clark wrote:
> I have a problem with my IP Masq gateway (slink, 2.0.36) hanging during
> accesses via the LAN.  What happens is that whenever one of the machines
> on the LAN (NT4, Win98 or Debian Slink) accesses anything on the gateway a
> couple of times, the gateway freezes totaly and won't respond to anything.
>
> Currently the gateway has the following hardware:
>
> intel P200 MMX
> 32mb RAM
> s3 pci video card
> NE2000 Isa network card
> SB Vibra 16 Isa PNP sound card
> Unknown MB (M752 is the Model, Intel i430TX chipset)
> Generic ATAPI Cdrom
> 1gb Seagate HDD
> Mitsumi 1.44mb FDD
>
> and the following software:
> debian 2.1 base
> apache-ssl
> proftpd
> qpopper
> squid
> distributed-net client
> uptime daemon
> linuxlogo
> ssh
> mysql (server, client, docs etc)
> xringd
> pine
> mutt
> pgp5i
> pgpi
> gnupg
> python (base, net, misc)
> fetchmail
> minicom
> bind
> irquery
> linbot
>
> I assume that the problem has to be the gateway machine as the other 3
> machines all work fine.
>
> If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this, please mail me
> at andrew.clark@technologist.com

what about the logs? try increasing verbosity level of the daemon
corresponding to the service the other machines are accessing and monitor
the logs with "tail -f <filename>"
Also you don't mention what services are causing trouble... any of them? If
any, than this is probably a hardware issue.

Marcin

--

Marcin Owsiany