Gateway hangs on accesses from LAN

I have a problem with my IP Masq gateway (slink, 2.0.36) hanging during
accesses via the LAN.  What happens is that whenever one of the machines
on the LAN (NT4, Win98 or Debian Slink) accesses anything on the gateway a
couple of times, the gateway freezes totaly and won't respond to anything.

Currently the gateway has the following hardware:

intel P200 MMX
32mb RAM
s3 pci video card
NE2000 Isa network card
SB Vibra 16 Isa PNP sound card
Unknown MB (M752 is the Model, Intel i430TX chipset)
Generic ATAPI Cdrom
1gb Seagate HDD
Mitsumi 1.44mb FDD

and the following software:
debian 2.1 base
apache-ssl
proftpd
qpopper
squid
distributed-net client
uptime daemon
linuxlogo
ssh
mysql (server, client, docs etc)
xringd
pine
mutt
pgp5i
pgpi
gnupg
python (base, net, misc)
fetchmail
minicom
bind
irquery
linbot

I assume that the problem has to be the gateway machine as the other 3
machines all work fine.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this, please mail me
at andrew.clark@technologist.com

Regards,
	Andrew Clark

Please CC any reply to the list to andrew.clark@technologist.com as I only
subscribe to the digest and would appreciate as fast a reply as possible.