Re: portscan: sunrpc etc...

Just a quick warning -- killall functions quite nicely under linux. But,
don't try it under other versions of unix as superuser, since it often does
kill*all*.

As for the services...
discard throws away everything that hits it -- /dev/null ported to tcp/ip
sockets. :) daytime tells the date and time (Thu Sep 23 12:42:13 1999). Time
I don't know exactly how it works, I get one of the french quotes when I try
to telnet to that port on my machine, and auth is identd -- used sometimes
for irc, printing, email, that sort of stuff, though many people disable it,
and there are many ways under windows to replace it entirely with bogus info
without requiring administrator access -- so most people don't trust it.

(and don't you hate 'inetd' 'init' and 'identd' ??)

And, of course, for sunrpc, I haven't a clue how to remove it, though look
into "portmap" etc.. :)