Re: .bashrc doesn't work?

| On 23-Sep-99 Eric G . Miller wrote:
| >   If I remeber correctly, they had .bash_profile sourcing .bashrc. Is
| >   there something inherently wrong with doing such a thing?

Most of the time, it's just redundant.  There are settings (e.g., PATH),
which only need to be set once, because they're inherited (in the case
of environment variables; if they're exported, which is invariably true
for the PATH).  Many people will have their PATH settings appended onto
the default, which means that if it's run for every subshell, you're
getting multiple appends and a ridiculously long path.  This can also
lead to grief in automount environments.

Some settings need to be set every time; e.g., aliases, which aren't
inherited.  Thus the need for separate initialization files for login &
subshells.

Pollywog writes:
| I have this in my .bash_profile:
|
| PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$QTDIR/bin
| ENV=$HOME/.bashrc

What are you trying to do here?  Is there some bash feature being
exploited that I haven't seen before?

Mx.