Re: apt-get "the following packages have been kept back"

*- On 22 Sep, Seth R Arnold wrote about "apt-get "the following packages have been kept back""
> Hello there.
>
> Can someone explain to me what this message means? :)
>
> amidala:/var# apt-get upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back
>   gimp1.1 login python-base python-tk shellutils wmaker
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
>

> Why aren't those being upgraded? Is one of the newer versions' dependancies
> updated that conflicts with some other dependancy somewhere else on the
> system?
>
> Thanks :)
>

>From /usr/doc/apt/users-guide.txt.gz

4.2.4. The Kept Back list
-------------------------

          The following packages have been kept back
            compface man-db tetex-base msql libpaper svgalib1
            gs snmp arena lynx xpat2 groff xscreensaver

     Whenever the whole system is being upgraded there is the possibility
     that new versions of packages cannot be installed because they require
     new things or conflict with already installed things. In this case the
     package will appear in the Kept Back list. The best way to convince
     packages listed there to install is with `apt-get install' or by using
     `dselect' to resolve their problems.

--
Brian