Re: Floppy light stays perpetually on.

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Kent West wrote:

> "Chrisopher D. Judd" wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > [ snip ]
> > >
> > >  : I tried rebooting.  The floppy light comes on straight away (and stays
> > >  : on) and the system tries to boot from the floppy but fails, so goes on
> > >  : to the hard drive.
> > >
> > > Sounds like the cable is reversed.  Flip it over at the drive, and/or at
> > > the controller.
> > >

> >     Note that flipping at the controller does not give the same
> > result as flipping at the drive if you're using the connector which
> > has part of the cable twisted.
> >

> Flipping at the controller can also cause problems if you've got more
> than one device attached to the cable.
>

> --

Regardless, make sure that the striped side of the cable lines up with
both pin 1 on the drive and controller. And yes, from my experience the
problem is that the cable is flipped (which end, I don't remember).

JDM

--------
Jason D. Michaelson          | Debian GNU/      o http://www.debian.org
mich0101@tc.umn.edu          |          _
ares0@geocities.com          |        / /    _   _     _  _ __  __
Jason.Michaelson@veritas.com |       / /__  / / / \// //_// \ \/ /
http://www.tc.umn.edu/       |
~mich0101                    |   ...because lockups are for convicts...

Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that
there must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one
on the other end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with
a silver-handled knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony
DeBoer