Re: Floppy light stays perpetually on.

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Chrisopher D. Judd wrote:

 : > On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mark Phillips wrote:
 : >
 : > [ snip ]
 : >
 : >  : I tried rebooting.  The floppy light comes on straight away (and stays
 : >  : on) and the system tries to boot from the floppy but fails, so goes on
 : >  : to the hard drive.
 : >
 : > Sounds like the cable is reversed.  Flip it over at the drive, and/or at
 : > the controller.
 : >
 :
 :     Note that flipping at the controller does not give the same
 : result as flipping at the drive if you're using the connector which
 : has part of the cable twisted.

That's true; I wasn't able to provide specific advice in this case :)

 :     And if that doesn't work try another cable.  I've seen cables with
 : the connectors poorly centered short and cause this behavior after
 : working fine for several months.

... as well as bad IDE cables, bad SCSI cables, bad serial cables ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD