Re: Clocking Modem Speed

John Hasler wrote:

> Shao writes:
> > To get the speed you are connected at, you can add a line in your chat
> > script like this:
> >       REPORT CONNECT

	Sorry for weighing into this, but it might be important to note some
problems I had doing this.

	" REPORT CONNECT " didn't work for me (full potato system).  My last
line in the chatscript was " CONNECT '' ".  To get this working I had to
change that line to " REPORT CONNECT   CONNECT '' ".

> You also need to tell the modem to report the line speed.  ATW1 will do it.

I have a very recent 56k ZOOM modem, internal ISA.  It would not do
anything when changing the ATWn command.  My modem accepted 1, 2, and 3
for this command, but it did not change the modem's behavior (its a good
modem, but it comes with nil documentation).  I found out the modem's
default behavior (powerup settings) is the one I wanted (report line
speed, not modem-to-port speed), so all I do now is a reset (ATZ).
FWIW.

> > Then you should be able to see the speed you are connected at in
> > /var/log/messages.

	The CONNECT speed line won't show up here.  See below.

> Change "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider" to
> "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider -r reportfile"
> and the CONNECT line will appear in reportfile.

	On my sys this isn't necessary.  If you don't specify a report-file to
write to (no '-r'), the CONNECT line will be sent to stderr, which ends
up being /var/log/ppp-connect-errors.  So you can cat this file to see
the speed, with no need for another file in /var/log.

HTH
--
Ed C.