Re: mail and security

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, tf wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm reading with intrest several threads, and have a bunch of questions
> about mailing (like, what exactly is exim or sendmail actually doing...)

When you tell your email program to send a message, it uses the protocol
SMTP to tell a program running on the server to handle delivery.  The
delivery programs are called MTAs - mail transfer agents.  exim and
sendmail are just two examples of MTAs.

> but I have a better question first.  I was online a few minutes ago,
> when I noticed alot of disk activity.  I checked top and saw that user
> nobody issued a find command.  I just disconnected.  Guess I should
> change my password.
That's some scripts run daily for system maintenance.  No need to worry.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien