17.2 gb drive

I've asked this before, but I'm still confused.  I have a 17.2gb maxtor
which the bios reports as 31930 cyl, 16 h, and 63 s.  Fdisk (ver 2.9g
or whatever came with slink) reports 1024 c, 255 h, 63 s (which adds up
to 8.4gb).  I was able to partition the drive using the installer from
stormix (which was probably a tcl or perl script front end to sfdisk).
Now when I run fdisk (after having installed debian) I get the message
that partitions overlap.

Fdisk also reports that the final cy is about 2100 (I forget the exact
number) which implies that some translation is happening.  My concern
is that the "/" partition starts below cy 1024 and ends above 1024.
Lilo current works fine, but may break in the future if I add a new
kernel and the image gets written above logical cyl 1024.

The large disk how to implies that this cy, head, sec mapping is really
history with large disks as what is now supplied is just a logical
block number.  fdisk, cfdisk and sfdisk still seem to rely on c,h,s
numbers however.

I don't know if my bios set up is giving me the real physical layout of
the disk or a translation.

SO... do I need a newer version of fdisk (is there a slink version of
what is in potato?).  How do I correctly partition such a large IDE
disk.  I feel that I need to have a small "/boot" partition at the
begining of the disk to hold the kernel boot image, but if lilo can use
the extended LBA mode this might not be necessary.  Does anyone
understand what is really going on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!