Re: ppp failure under debian (slakware with pppd 2.2 patch level 0 works)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> first thing: should there be any chat script at all if you authenticate
> using cu? (i've never used cu, so i may be wrong)
> Should the chat script try to reset the modem if it has already connected??
> (the ATZ and AT)

 This is using pon on the new setup.  I only use cu on the slackware setup
 because that's all that was available at the time.  I tried installing
 wvdial one time and had similar problems.  I thought maybe I have some weird
 hardware problem with the serial card, but this is a new one with the new
 motherboard, and the old one does exactly the same.

> I would try to edit /etc/chatscripts/provider to contain only one line:
> '' ''
> if I were you.
>
> On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 05:06:18PM +1000, Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au wrote:
> > One thing that concerned me was that the kernel messages from dmesg don't
> > mention the ppp0 device as happens on a working debian ppp machine I've seen.
> > The relevant part of dmesg looks like this ....
> >
> > PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
> > PPP line discipline registered.
> >
> > and that's it.
> >
> > What is happening?
>
> this is how it looks like on my system (slink, 2.2.12):
>
> PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
> PPP line discipline registered.
> registered device ppp0
> PPP BSD Compression module registered
> PPP Deflate Compression module registered
> PPP: ppp line discipline successfully unregistered
>
> and as far as i can remember, the "registered device ppp0" appears only
> after chat script has finished successfully:

My friedns machine gets the registered device ppp0 during boot up and he
doesn't start pppd at that stage.

> Sep 18 12:56:04 pecet pppd[166]: Serial connection established.
> Sep 18 12:56:05 pecet pppd[166]: Using interface ppp0
>
> hope this helps,
> Marcin
>
> --

> Marcin Owsiany
> porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

statistician (n.) someone who can draw a mathematically precise line
from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.  [anon.]