Where do I find *ALL* steps to use newly built kernels?

Hi,

I have been running the 2.1 debian release (well) on my TP 560
for a week or so.  I have delved into building my own custom
kernel, to get around APM problems, add sound, SCSI etc.

I have read the kernel howtos, and read/printed the various things
under /usr/linux/src that apply to the "components" I wish to get
going.

My latest attempts have been with the kernel-source-2.2.1_2.2.1-1.deb
sources.

I figured I'd try adding one piece at a time.  My first attempt
made APM (suspend/resume) work once only.  Other attemps got my
mic linked to my speaker, but no /dev/mixer or /dev/audio devices.

SO, I want to start again from scratch.  When I make "bzdisk" and
boot, I think it is using the existing "conf.modules" which is
not compatible with the newly built kernels.

I'm hoping that there is some material out there I can read, which
explains EVERYTHING I have to do.  I suspect that I missing several
key steps, and do not know where else to look.

I am very willing to put the time in to get things right, I figure
this time I will start with SOUND, then go onto the PCMCIA, SCSI,
APM, etc.., adding one thing at a time.

ANY suggestions, pointers to more in-depth docs, etc, would be AWESOME

Many thanks,

John