Debianizers

I was wondering whether there is a group of people out there that just
go around debianizing programs.  Like bleeding edge programs.

I seems to me, since RedHat is probably the most popular, or at least
most famous, distribution, only RPMs are made of many packages.  Sure,
you can use alien to debianize a package, but does alien put the files
into places that follow the debian file-system policy, or does it just
take the file locations straight from the RPM?  The problem with the
latter, is that after a while, you get a lot of cruft in the file
system, and the file system becomes a bit unorganized, especially with
config files and such.  So it would probably be better to make .debs
from the source, or tarballs.

What goes into the making of .deb packages?  And are there
ramifications for makeing .debs out off commercial packages, say for
example Quake3Arena (which is what really brought this up.), and
Metrowerks Codewarrior.

Anyways, any ideas would be appreciated.

Marshal