Re: What is required for Kernel 2.2.12 ?

On Sat, 1999-09-18 14:57:50 -0400, Salman Ahmed wrote:

> Can someone tell me exactly what packages I will need to
> run the 2.2.x kernel ? I know that I will need some packages
> from unstable but that's ok.
>
> Here is what my /etc/apt/sources.lists looks like right
> now :
>
>     # Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
>     # your mirror contains.
>     # deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
>     # See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
>     # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
>     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
>     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>     deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
>     deb http://www.netgod.net/ x/
>
> I suppose I will have to add an entry for the unstable area like :
>
>  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>
> BTW, on a somewhat related note what problems should I expect
> when I start mixing up packages from unstable ? I am doing this
> on my home system which is a standalone system. I use it for
> doing some development and to browse the WWW and read this list.

I did this back in July (for 2.2.10) on a slink box,
and took a rather minimal route.
My /etc/apt/sources.list only contained two lines:
   deb http://ftp.netgod.net/ x/
   deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
I made myself current with those sources using dselect, although
apt-get would presumably have worked equally well.
Note that neither unstable nor proposed-updates was necessary; netgod
had taken care of the required netbase upgrade, to netbase_3.12-2_i386.deb.

Compiling (using gcc-2.7.2.3) the ftp.kernel.org sources then ran fine,
using the instructions in Linus's README file.

After booting the 2.2.10 kernel, the following configuration problems
needed attention:
1) you get harmless boot-time error messages using slink's /etc/init.d/network;
   the following minimal one avoids those error messages and works fine for me:
	ifconfig  lo 127.0.0.1
	IPADDR=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
	BROADCAST=YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY
	GATEWAY=ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ
	ifconfig  eth0 $IPADDR  broadcast $BROADCAST
	route  add default  gw $GATEWAY  metric 1
   substituting appropriate values for the addresses, of course
2) in /etc/printcap, change lp1 to lp0

If memory serves correctly, that's all you need to do.

Since then I've upgraded to 2.2.12, and added
   deb http://security.debian.org/ stable updates
   deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
without any problem.

Hopefully this clarifies that you don't _need_ to upgrade to unstable
to enjoy the 2.2 kernel, but you do need to make some very minor configuration
file changes.
If I've missed anything, I hope somebody will notice and add/correct words
for a more accurate description.

Keith