Re: What is required for Kernel 2.2.12 ?

> Salman Ahmed wrote:
>
> > As you all might have guessed, I am in the process of
> > customizing and configuring my Debian 2.1 so that I can
> > dump RH.
> >
> > Next step is to move up to the 2.2.x kernel. I wish to
> > run 2.2.12.
> >
> > Can someone tell me exactly what packages I will need to
> > run the 2.2.x kernel ? I know that I will need some packages
> > from unstable but that's ok.
> >
> > Here is what my /etc/apt/sources.lists looks like right
> > now :
> >
> >     # Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
> >     # your mirror contains.
> >     # deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
> >     # See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
> >     # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
> >     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/
> >     deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> >     deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
> >     deb http://www.netgod.net/ x/
> >
> > I suppose I will have to add an entry for the unstable area like :
> >
> >  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> >
> > BTW, on a somewhat related note what problems should I expect
> > when I start mixing up packages from unstable ? I am doing this
> > on my home system which is a standalone system. I use it for
> > doing some development and to browse the WWW and read this list.

The biggest surprise is that glibc 2.1 is part of unstable so all packages you
get from unstable will complain about it's absence if you don't install it.
Of course you could just install it. But building all the new packages from
unstable and then applying them will mitigate this issue. Debian does actually
maintain a nice page on what to do about getting the 2.2.x kernels onto slink:
http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/running-kernel-2.2

Hope it helps.