Re: Dying services due to low memory?

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> modules or overclocked CPUs.) Memory usage is permanently about 99%, swap
> usage only a few percent. But obviously processes are dying because they

Then you are not running out of memory.  The kernel likes to leave all the
memory allocated.  It uses it for a disk cache and just gives it to user
programs as necessary.  You'll get "can't get a free page" messages on
console when you really start to run out.  Normally this will happen when
your swapfile gets really full, or when all your processes are trying to
run at once.

> I need a high availability of my machines, and having to constantly
> check and possibly restart services is not acceptable. :-(

What is the problem with your inetd?