guest accounts with wu-ftp

I am trying to enable the guestgroup feature with wu-ftp (2.5.0). The login
and the chrooted environment is flawlessly but the ls command doesn't work.

The ls used within the anonymous account works. I used the same binary and
the libs within the guestgroup account without success. The ls command is
executed, wu-ftp is announcing that the command was succesfully executed
but the content of the directory isn't displayed.

I read the howto for the setup of guest accounts from the wu-ftp mailing
list archive and all variations I tried weren't sucessfull.

If I issue

  strace -f chroot ~guestuser ls

the output shows no problems with the ls, i. e. the directory contents are
displayed.

I tried to use a ls binary with statically linked libs but wasn't able
to build one. Even the gnu fileutils are compiled with shared libs.

Any hints are appreciated.

Werner