Re: silly sendmail question

On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 07:32:38AM -0400, add|ct|on wrote:
> Greetings...
>
> I know I'm going to get a lot of responses to the tone of "read the how-to" or "check the archives" but I have to post my question anyway, as I have done both and I'm still clueless.
>
> My question is this: I do not have a domain of my own, and connect to the net via PPP. I use sendmail when I'm in text mode (which honestly I prefer over X-Windows), and for months I've been trying to figure out how (or if) I can make my sender address stop looking like this:
>
> From:  <my "real name" here as I set it when adding a user account> <my user name@Morpheus> (Morpheus is, of course, my "hostname", or what I named my computer.)
>
> It would be nice if sendmail would report me as either my actual email address through my isp, or as the one I use to mail to this list (an iname account). The problem is of course I can't figure out how to change how sendmail reports me as sender, and hell I don't even know if it's possible. If it is, someone please tell me how? I'd appreciate it a great deal.
>
> TIA,
> addiction
I have run across this problem too.  In the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file you
need to include a couple of features.

Here is a copy of my sendmail.mc file.

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
# are met:
# 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
#    must display the following acknowledgement:
#	This product includes software developed by the University of
#	California, Berkeley and its contributors.
# 4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
#    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
#    without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
# ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
# FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
# DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
# OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
# HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
# LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
# OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
# SUCH DAMAGE.
#

#
# This file is used to configure sendmail for use with Debian systems.
#

divert(0)
VERSIONID(`@(#)sendmail.mc	8.9.1a (Linux) 19981026')
OSTYPE(debian)dnl
LOCAL_CONFIG
define(`SMART_HOST', smtp:my.isp.net)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN', `12h')dnl
MAILER_DEFINITIONS
MAILER(procmail)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)

LOCAL_CONFIG
MASQUERADE_AS(usu.edu)dnl

## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)
define(`RELAY_HOST', smtp:my.isp.net)dnl
define(`RELAY_MAILER', TCP)dnl
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`MyHostname.something')dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl

The Masquerade options tells sendmail what to pretend to be to the outside
world.  My machine is then masqueraded as my.isp.net and MyHostname.something
is never seen by the outside world.  I have also found that your hostname
needs to be hostname.something otherwise sendmail will say cannot cononify
own domain name, and take forever to actually send mail.

Hope this helps.

Allan
--
Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.