dselect error

Kenneth Litko <litkken@charlie.cns.iit.edu> wrote:

> Ok, I keep getting this error from dselect
> and it is driving me nuts.  Here's
> the error:
>
> > internal error - no filename at -e line 12, <P> chunk 13
> >
> > installation script returned error status 1.
> > Press RETURN to continue.

Me too, except I get it at chunk 28.

I've got a heterogenious network at home with a sparc station 2 and some
x86 machines. (40 bogomips on the sparc, but it feels like a lot fewer.)
I bought a couple of slink distributions from tree.uk.com and merged
them on my file server and am attempting to install from there. The
200MB disk X-server-only sparc installed OK, and my 200MB disk 486
router-only installed OK. When I try to install on my 'main' machine I
get the above failure message. Installing from the CDs seems to work
better though the failure occurs in an as yet unpredictable way. On my
fourth attempt to get it going I reinstalled everything, selected a
minimal initial configuration, and then began selecting packages one by
one and installing them. All went well till I selected apache which
depends on a slew of other stuff - I suspect one of the .deb's is
corrupt - but as soon as the install method tries to install the twenty
or so files, it falls over with the above.
I've looked at the dselect and dpkg documentation and am curious to look
inside /var/lib/dpkg/methods to see if I can turn on some kind of
debugging flag to get some slightly more useful output from the "mounted
install" method. However I don't know any perl (yet) so I might not be
able to achieve much.
Anyone else seen this?
Anoyone got a clue whats going wrong?
Anyone recommend a "learning perl" book for a busy software engineer
with a strong regard for Ada and a very low opinion of c, c++, java, apl
and other languages which accept bursts of line noise as syntactically
valid.
thanks in advance
Andrew